Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Maple Blueberry Topping

I am currently enjoying a wonderful week off from work. My mom is visiting as well and we are enjoying our time in the kitchen. Today we are sitting down and making a list of the items we want to make this week so we can go to the grocery store. Of course, to properly focus our minds on such intense tasks requires sustenance.

That sustenance today took the form of my best ever pancakes. While these pancakes are very good with plain old syrup, they are extraordinary with blueberries. I like to spice up my blueberry syrup with a little extra flavoring.

The idea for this sauce came one day when I made these pancakes. I served them with regular maple syrup and a traditional blueberry sauce so each person could choose their favorite topping. I decided to use a little bit of each on mine and was blown away by the combination of blueberry and maple. This sauce cooks up very quickly, so you can make it while you wait for the pancakes to cook. Oh, and it is also wonderful on ice cream.

Maple Blueberry Topping
Yield: about 2 cups topping

2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
3 TBS sugar (or to taste depending on your berries)
2 TBS corn starch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup real maple syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Mix all of the ingredients together in a heavy sauce pan over medium to medium-high heat. Heat, stirring regularly, until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment