Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Milk Gravy

The other day I made some fried chicken. I really wanted mashed potatoes and gravy, but fried chicken doesn't exactly leave pan drippings that can be used to make gravy. I used to buy those little packets for making white gravy, but they were always less than the best, and - besides - I didn't have any on hand. I decided this time to try and make some milk gravy from scratch. I figured it couldn't be too hard. The only thing I was worried about was getting enough flavor into it. Fortunately, bacon is the world's best flavor maker.

This gravy is a cinch to make and would also be perfect over chicken fried steak. Mmmmmm.... chicken fried steak.

Milk Gravy
Yield: 2 cups

4 strips bacon
4 TBS flour
2 cups warm milk
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper

Cook the bacon over medium/medium-high heat until all the fat is rendered out. Remove the bacon and save for bacon bits or simply enjoy the slices while standing at the stove. You deserve it! You're the one doing the cooking!

Reduce the heat to medium/medium-low. Do not pour off any of the fat. Add the flour to the pan and stir into the grease to make a nice roux. Stir and cook slightly. Add the warm milk slowly (I heat the milk in the microwave before adding it; it seems to help keep the lumps from forming), stirring constantly. Cook until the mixture is just about to boil and is nice and thick. Add the salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment