Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Monday, June 22, 2009

Perfectly Cooked Link Sausage

I am a big fan of link sausage, but, for some reason, following the cooking directions on the packages of links always disappointed me. See, my favorite part of the sausage is the flavorful, browned bits on the outside of the link. For years, I was so disappointed by the results of my sausage cooking, that I despaired of ever getting it right.

I can't even remember how it came about, this drastic change in my sausage cooking fortunes. Now, preparing sausage for breakfast is a joy. It's the easiest part of fixing a meal - even easier than making toast! Really! If you are sausage link challenged like I was, take heart. Help is here.

Here's the trick to perfect sausage:
  • Make sure you are using sausage that is completely thawed.
  • You need a nonstick skillet with a tight fitting lid.
  • Place the skillet on the burner over medium-high heat. Spray the inside with oil or drizzle a tiny little bit of oil in the pan to get things going. Too much oil will reduce your browning so go easy!
  • Add the sausage.
  • Put the lid on the pan.
  • When you really hear things start to sizzle inside, turn the heat down to medium, medium-low. Don't turn too low; you want to still hear sizzle, but you want it to be browning, not blacking.
  • Periodically "shake" the pan horizontally across the burner to roll the sausages around. This allows all sides of the sausage to get a lovely brown without having to open the lid.
  • Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes. I've never actually timed it, but I start the sausage first and when the eggs and toast are done, so is the sausage.

The lid is where it is at. The steam released while the links cook keep them juicy and succulent. Perfect sausage every time!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the tips. I bought some sausage links this week, so I'm going to try your method when I cook them.

    ReplyDelete