Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Potato Soup #143


There are some things that I make that are never the same. Take potato soup, for instance. God only knows how many times I've made it. Maybe this was #143... who really knows? I have a general formula, but every time I make it, it is always a new creation. This is a great, bad thing. It's great because it never gets old and it's bad because sometimes I make a soup that is absolutely phenomenal and I don't remember how I did it.

When we had potato soup a couple of weeks ago, I knew that I would be taking pictures of it for later posting on here. Therefore, I did something I don't usually do when I make potato soup - I wrote down what I put in it as I made it. What I'm posting here today was that day's version of potato soup. It was very good and I feel confident sharing it with you, but I will probably never make it exactly this way again. With some things I just can't help but shoot from the hip.

Potato Soup #143
Yield: 4-6 servings

2 tsp olive oil
6 strips bacon, chopped
5 small potatoes cut into cm sized cubes (2-3 cups, cubed)
1/2 cup diced onions or shallots
1/4 cup diced celery
3 TBS flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
2 cups milk
2 TBS heavy cream (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

In a heavy Dutch oven, add the oil and bacon and cook over medium to medium-high heat until the bacon is crispy. While the bacon is cooking, prepare the potatoes, onion, and celery. Remove the bacon onto a paper towel lined plate and set aside.

Drain off all but 2 TBS of the bacon grease. Add the onion and celery to the pot and saute over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the onions are slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir to thoroughly mix. Add the broth (it works best if the broth is slightly heated, but this step is not required), parsley, and marjoram. Add the potatoes and cover, reducing heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 15-20 minutes. Add milk and stir. Stir in the heavy cream, if using. The cream is optional, but it is amazing what even a little bit of the stuff does to the mouthfeel of a creamy soup. Right before serving, return most of the bacon into the soup. I hold a bit back to sprinkle on top of the bowls when I serve them.

1 comment:

  1. Wow....this is the complete pack of delicious recipes. I liked your blog. Potato Soup is looking yummmm.

    ReplyDelete