Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Friday, March 20, 2009

Rice Pudding


I really love rice pudding. But I'm something of a pudding snob... I know... what are you going to do? Make your own!

I know a lot of folks make rice pudding from left over long grained rice, but it never seems very creamy, and I like creamy. I also am opposed to custard puddings. I mean, I don't want to feel like a sinner for eating the stuff. Well, after a little bit of research and a little bit of trial and error, I came up with a simple, no frills recipe that is absolutely divine. And there are no eggs and no heavy cream. Eat your heart out!

The big thing leading to success in this recipe is the rice grain. In the attached picture, I have long-grain rice and pearl rice side-by-side. It is easy to see the difference between the grains here. The pearl rice is much b
etter at sopping up liquid (which is why it is also used in risottos). However, don't be fooled into buying that expensive Arborio rice unless you absolutely have to. I buy "Arroz Grano Corto" or pearl rice in the Hispanic aisle of my grocery for much less.


Rice Pudding

1 cup pearl (Arborio) rice
2 cups water
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1teaspoon vanilla
1/4 to 1/2 cup raisins
1 - 2" stick cinnamon

Bring water and rice to a boil in a heavy sauce pan (minimum 2 quart size), reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove cover and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium until milk is heated through. Reduce heat back to low and let rice continue to absorb milk, stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes, or until milk is mostly absorbed. Watch to be sure it doesn't stick or scorch. Remove cinnamon stick. Pudding is great warm or cold.


You don't have to use the raisins, but they add a very important flavor element to the pudding. If you really can't stand those plump little things in there, I've experimented with simmering the raisins in the water for a few minutes (and then straining them out) before adding the rice and it comes out OK. The pudding is fine without them at all, but as I said, the flavor is much simpler. And this is a great recipe to use those old, almost like a brick raisins in your cupboard. They plump up just as well as the new ones do. Also, while you can use 2% or even 1% milk in here, you will not get the creamy texture without using whole milk. It also will not firm up when chilled unless you use whole milk.


Another way to serve this recipe is as a dessert. Mold pudding in small plastic wrapped bowls or ramekins. Let chill until firmed. Unmold onto a plate and top with something sweet. I made a simple blueberry compote (see below) and poured it over the top. Yummy!


To make the blueberry compote, I put 1 cup of frozen blueberries into a 4 cup glass bowl with 1/4 cup water, 2 teaspoons corn starch, 1/3 cup sugar, and a pinch each of cinnamon and nutmeg. Then I microwaved it, stirring frequently until it thickened and the sauce became translucent and shiny. You could do this with just about any fruit and can also make it in a sauce pan on the stove.



6 comments:

  1. Paul LOVES rice pudding!! I've only attempted it once (in a crockpot). It was terrible and it made like 30lbs!!! I will give this a try!! Drive carefully!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got here from the pudding made with brown rice, but the main thing is that I got here. My mom used to make this, and I remember the box of pearl rice that she used. But it is not available in the stores any more, and I had no idea that Arborio rice was the same thing. It's everywhere! I am so pleased to know that, and can't wait to get some to make this (long grain just doesn't work the same) This is my all time comfort food. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article, like it! Appreciate the patience in putting up such determined content. Thanks for the time and effort.
    organic white rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Useful information shared.. I got good information to read this article, thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.
    organic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
    long grain rice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Useful info. Hope to see more good posts in the future.
    how to cook long grain rice

    ReplyDelete