Cooking from Scratch is now on facebook! Click here to check it out!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Caramel Toast

Well, I suppose necessity is the mother of invention... especially when you have a sweet tooth like I do. Being on my own for dinner last night, I had a plate of fresh asparagus and was going to go back and toast some baguette because I was still hungry. I didn't feel like using the toaster because then I'd have to fish all those little rounds out of it. I didn't feel like washing a big baking sheet, so I didn't want to broil them. I then thought maybe I'd toast them in a pan like a grilled cheese (makes for a better butter vehicle anyway). Well, as you might imagine, I started thinking about how cinnamon toast might taste good, and then I thought about how much I wanted to eat a palmier (you know, those delectable French pastries). So, sugar became involved, and then some cinnamon. And, I gotta tell you, I almost wish I hadn't experimented with this; now I'm gonna want to make them all the time!

Caramel Toast

1/2 inch thick rounds of French baguette
butter
sugar
cinnamon (optional)

Put non-stick skillet on the stove to preheat at medium. Slice bread and lightly coat each side with butter. Place slices in skillet and let lightly toast on both sides. Place some sugar (and a small amount of cinnamon, if desired) on a paper plate or other flat dipping vessel. Dip both sides of the hot bread into the sugar and return to the pan. Turn on exhaust fan, as some of the sugar will invariably smoke a bit. Try not to turn them too much. Keep on one side until sugar is completely melted, shiny, and starting to brown a bit, flip and repeat. Remove onto a cooling rack. Let cool at least 5 minutes. Enjoy! Yummmmm. I think I'll go make some!

2 comments:

  1. Tara- I found your blog through Cheryl... mmm!!! It will be a daily checker:) Thanks for your love for food, frugality in the kitchen, and the fellowship of a blog!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the kind words! I really enjoy coming up with my daily post. The good thing about a food blog is you never run out of topics!

    ReplyDelete